In a continuing series (“Faculty Writing Workshop”) in Inside Higher Ed, Carmen Werder and Karen Hoelscher focus on “Finding Our Best Readers,” which examines how to identify appropriate journals to which you will submit your work.
Among their main points:
- Consider submission and turnaround timelines.
- Start with receptive audiences.
- Consider publications in which the articles you cite appear.
- Check journals’ calls for submissions for future special topics issues.
- Create scholarly momentum to submit different versions of your research area to different journals.
- On occasion, publish where you can (i.e. less competitive journals).
- Consider alternative publication and reader access (e.g. open access or creative commons).
The article is on line, open access.