Writing for the Chronicle of Higher Education, Marybeth Gasman observes in “For the Love of Writing” that summer is a season for many faculty members to conduct scholarship and produce manuscripts, free from the demands of teaching and committees.
Gasman discusses her own behaviors conducive of productivity:
- Constantly reading and absorbing new ideas and information.
- Dedicating large blocks of time to writing.
- Seeking external accountability (telling friends and colleagues what she is working on, setting hard deadlines with collaborators on projects).
- Taking breaks from writing.
- Always having several projects in various stages of development.
- Writing about topics that engage her passions.
- Writing almost daily.
I hope your summer is productive and restorative.