The International Network on Feminist Approaches to Bioethics is pleased to invite proposals for panels and papers for presentation at the 2014 World Congress in Mexico City, 22-24 June 2014. The Congress theme is Health Care Ethics: Local, Global, Universal. While FAB encourages submissions on this team, submissions on any topic in feminist bioethics are welcome. Paper abstracts should be 300 words, prepared for anonymous review, and accompanied by both a descriptive title for the paper proposed and 2-3 keywords. Proposed panels should also be prepared for anonymous review and consist of a 300-word description of the overall topic and objectives of the panel, as well as a panel title and the titles of all the papers to be included in the panel.
All submissions should include the names, e-mail addresses, and full affiliations of all authors. In cases of panels and co-authored papers, please identify a corresponding author. One or two submitted papers may be selected for plenary presentations. If you wish your paper to be considered for a plenary, please submit the full paper and indicate that you seek review for a plenary. The conference organizers welcome submissions from a wide range of disciplines, including philosophy, the social sciences, critical cultural studies (gender and sexuality studies, disability studies, race studies, etc.), law, public health, and others. We particularly encourage submissions from early career researchers.
Submissions (in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format) should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 September 2013. This e-mail address should only be used for communications concerning submissions, and not for general conference or FAB inquiries.
- Feminist thoughts about universal declarations of rights
- Feminist thoughts about what moral obligations, if any, are universal
- How growing economies shape the delivery of health care for women
- How oppression affects access to health care
- Informal systems of care
- International comparisons of health care systems
- Macro dilemmas and micro solutions to the need for health care
- Political foundations for access to care
- Scarce resources, just allocations
- Local power, global biomedical challenges
- Neoliberalism’s impact on health care systems
- Medical research in a global era
- Feminist bioethics: ghetto or global?
- A local epistemology for a global feminist bioethics
Papers accepted for the conference will be reviewed for publication in IJFAB. Conferees should plan to submit their final papers to IJFAB no later than 1 September 2014.
Application Procedure for Travel and Registration Grants
FAB has limited funds to provide travel grants to help FAB members participate in the biennial conference. In order to be eligible for a grant, applicants must have been members of FAB for at least one year at the time of application. To apply for a travel grant, FAB members presenting a paper at FAB-Mexico City 2014 should submit both a brief abstract of their paper and a brief statement of need to the Grants Committee. (You may email the Grants Coordinator here email@example.com .) FAB members seeking a registration grant must submit only a brief statement of need to the Grants Committee. To apply for a travel or registration grant, FAB members presenting a paper at FAB-Mexico City 2014 must submit the following:
- Full name of the applicant.
- Full contact information, including any relevant institutional or organizational affiliation.
- Details of pursuit of funding from other sources and outcome.
- Previous FAB grants awarded (year and amount).
- An extended abstract of the paper to be presented (not applicable for those requesting only assistance with registration).
- Anticipated participation in FAB organizational activities if applicable.
International Network on Feminist Approaches to Bioethics–For more information about FAB, visit www.fabnet.org
International Association of Bioethics (IAB) — FAB is affiliated with the International Association of Bioethics http://bioethics-international.org/ (IAB). The IAB World Congress will be held in Mexico City 24-27 June 2014.